2016 – 2020
Hotmaps will develop, demonstrate and disseminate a toolbox to support public authorities, energy agencies and planners in strategic heating and cooling planning on local, regional and national levels, and in-line with EU policies.
Results and perspectives
The toolbox in Hotmaps will facilitate the following tasks on a spatially disaggregated level:
- Mapping heating and cooling energy situation including renewable and waste heat potentials in GIS layers;
- Model the energy system, considering hourly matching of supply and demand, demand response etc.;
- Supporting the comprehensive assessment of efficient heating and cooling according to the Energy Efficiency Directive;
- Comparative assessment of supply and demand options and of given scenarios until 2050 regarding e.g. CO2-emissions, costs, share of renewables.
An open data set for EU-28 is created to perform those tasks in virtually any EU region down to a 100x100m level, which will reduce barriers for authorities to heating and cooling planning. Hotmaps will allow for updating locally available data and links to existing models. The software will be developed in close cooperation with the target group, within the consortium and be-yond. Moreover, the toolbox will be validated and demonstrated in 7 pilot areas to provide a tested and user friendly software entirely based on user needs.
You can read more about the project on the project-homepage, which includes a number of webinars, presentations etc. Alternatively, you can jump directly into the tool and explore its current functionalities (please note that the tool is still under development and will be updated continually).
Key PlanEnergi activities
PlanEnergi is leader of work package 6 (WP6) on development and demonstration with the target group.
WP6 consists of the following steps together with the target group
of the Hotmaps database and toolbox:
- Specification and prioritization of user needs
- Testing of the Hotmaps database and toolbox
- Demonstration of the Hotmaps database and toolbox in the heat planning process in pilot areas
- In depth training and capacity building on the Hotmaps database and toolbox in follower areas
- Development and demonstration of training materials for the capacity building in other areas also after the project duration
The objectives of this work package is user supported development and demonstration of the Hotmaps database and toolbox, and to train the target group on the tool. For this purpose we will ensure a strong participation of the target group in all parts of the innovation process, starting with the identification of user needs, iterative testing of the database and toolbox, and demonstration by using the toolbox in course of the heating and cooling process in representative types and sizes of European cities, regions and at national level.
For the capacity building of the target group the objective is to provide in-depth training on the Hotmaps database and toolbox in follower areas in course of 2-days arrangements, and to prepare and demonstrate training materials to be used in other areas on the basis of ½-1 day arrangements. A train-the-trainer scheme will be installed to transfer capacity building know-how to Energy Cities, who will host the Hotmaps toolbox after the end of the project.